Friday, November 2, 2007

Walker's Education

You know I think I am pretty good at a lot of things, and I oftentimes know or fake like I know what I am doing or talking about. For example: I am good at being a friend, video games, soccer, watching TV, drinking beer, eating, golf when no one is looking, my job, and being a husband/brother/son/nephew to my family. I have no fear in any of those things and if I do I hope most of you cannot tell when I am completely full of you know what.

I am honestly scared out of my pants here. I think and hope it is most likely a good fear and might even be anticipation more than anything else. Plus, everyone has told me that I will be a good father so that is reassuring. I only hope that I am as good of a father to our baby as my father was to me. To help overcome my fear I have started reading some books to educate myself (along with what Candace tells me and I learn from Phil when we talk in the mornings before work) so I can be better prepared.

The first book I had the privilege to read was brought over by Kim. The book was written by Jenny McCarthy and is titled Belly Laughs. Jenny McCarthy is a pretty funny lady (most of you guys know her from her various Playboy spreads). Jenny is also very graphic and does not hesitate to tell it like it is regarding pregnancy and childbirth. I am now scared that I will either vomit or pass out during delivery after reading about some of the things that happen. Do they offer epidurals to men? That would be great. Nevertheless, Jenny (yes we are on a first name basis now) does a great job of describing what you will go through as a woman and what her husband went through (because of what she was going through). Kudos to Kimmy (as she will be called by our baby) for bringing that book over.

The other book I am reading is called The New Dad's Survival Guide: Man-to-Man Advice for First-Time Fathers and was written by Scott Mactavish. This book is more my speed because it uses big font and only has 100 pages. If this book had some more pictures and some pop-up stuff that would be great. In all seriousness, the book is written extremely well and focuses on making sure you are cool as a man in order to make sure your wife is calm and as relaxed as possible so that things go as smooth as possible during pregnancy and the birth of the baby. I guess it's a pretty smart idea to keep the pregnant lady happy. Actually, pregnant or not it is always a good idea to keep your wife happy.

The third book I have yet to start is titled Mack Daddy: Mastering Fatherhood without Losing Your Style, Your Cool, or Your Mind, and it was written by Larry Bleidner. I have yet to start this book as I all ready said, but how could it not be a best seller? I mean look at the cover? The stroller has dubs on it for crying out loud. I am eagerly anticipating reading this book. I am taking my time in reading all the books because I honestly just got a new video game and that has been commanding a lot of my attention at night. Honesty here people. They say it's the best policy.

1 comment:

Bo said...

Walker and Candace.

Christi and I could not be happier for you two. I can not think of two people who couuld be better parents. You will have a lot of love to give a child. I am sure that your child will be a good citizen as well as being very outspoken. Christi and I appreciate your friendship and love for us. We love you guys. We will be following this whole process. I will be impressed to see Candace when she can not see her toes!